Suggestions to improvement

Jan 17, 2012 at 6:56 PM

First of all i would like to say: Great application you got there! I've got a few suggestions for improvement though. Personally i use wallbase alot myself to find new wallpapers and i have been searching for an application like this for a while. 

My suggestions are:

Make it possible to not only download by search string, but also download newest or download toplist and something like that.

Also instead of making the program handle the background, then make it download to a specific folder so i can set windows to handle the background switching instead of constantly having this running in the background :)

At last i think it would be a good idea to talk to Yotoon (creator of wallbase) about the downloading of wallpapers from wallbase. I would certainly not see this program excluding wallbase, but i know wallbase has problems with bandwith traffic costs so it would probably be a good idea to limit the download interval from wallbase.

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2012 at 3:20 AM

One of your requests is already doable, that is to have Windows manage the desktop backgrounds and just use pulse to download.  All you need to do is to change the pulse option so that it never removes cached files, then when picking your wallpaper point Windows to the Cache directory.

For this to work better it might be nice if pulse included a "pre-fetch" option that would pre-fetch all of the wallpapers ahead of time. I'll look into adding such an option.

Also, as for the bandwidth issue, I agree that better caching is in order.  I've been looking into how to cache the list of images returned so that it doesn't have to be re-fetched each time the application starts; though really I've been looking into this because the Google Images provider I wrote tends to break after a while because Google starts prompting with a CAPTCHA.

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I'd just like to throw in some suggestions as well.

1. Add automatic start with windows as an option in the program. 

2. Allow to specify multiple search terms at the same time. For example so it can run trough "landscape" pictures and "space" pictures at the same time, picking randomly between both of them.

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2012 at 10:17 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Aug 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Ferylin,  I have created two new tasks for your request.  You can track the progress on the Issue Tracker tab.  Once the issue is complete this means it has been checked into source control.  It does not mean that it is yet available in a release.  Contact me if you see the issue fixed and want to know when it will be released in a build.